Just as sure as the school year draws to a close and the summertime sun starts to shine, it happens…your Property Tax Bill arrives. We want to help make the process as painless and simple as possible for you.
Below you will find a list of various ways to pay your taxes and register for your Home Owners Grant (HOG).
Claiming Your Home Owner’s Grant:
If your property is your principle residence you have to claim your Home Owners Grant (which is $570 on average, some cities it is less).
There are 2 ways for you to claim:
1. Signing the tax notice and mailing or dropping it off at the city.
2. Complete it online if your city has an electronic payment capability on their website. If you are doing this online you will need the folio number and access code which is on your notice.
It takes no more than 5 minutes to complete. Don’t forget to print off a copy for your records!
Paying Your Property Taxes:
There are 4 ways this can be done:
1. Some lenders allow you to pay your property taxes throughout the year with your mortgage payment. If that is the case, the lender will remit the payment directly on your behalf. Be aware your taxes can change from year-to-year so it is a good idea to call your current lender to ensure you have enough in your account. If you do not have the lender number we placed you with, simply give us a call and we can help.
2. If your lender does not collect your taxes, you can write a post-dated cheque for July 2nd, and mail it to the city.
3. Make your payment at most chartered banks.
4. Use your cities monthly pre-authorized debit program. If you do not, it is a convenient option to consider going forward. Instructions will be on your cities website or attached to your tax notice.
As a helpful tool, we have also provided some links for more information and electronic payment details.
Please feel free to pass this email along to friends, family members and colleagues!
This information is so useful for all home owners.
If you have any questions about this or anything else mortgage related, I would love to talk with you!
Contact me anytime!